Have You Been the Victim of a Distracted Driving Accident?
In an instant.
That is how quickly your life can change.
One day you are playing with your two small children in the backyard after work, the next day you cannot even get out of bed.
One day you are playing golf with your work colleagues, the next day you cannot tie your own shoes.
One day you are on the back deck grilling burgers for your family, the next day you cannot lift a spoon to your own mouth.
Distracted Driving Puts Everyone on the Road at Risk
Drivers who are distracted are a threat to everyone, and while no distracted driver is good, some may actually be a bigger threat than others. Did you know, for instance, that the weight of an average semi-truck is about 80,000 pounds? One semi, then, is actually 30 to 35 times heavier than the average car. When the distracted driver is the one driving that enormous semi, the consequences can be deadly.
If you have been the victim of an accident that involves a distracted driver you may be dealing with an instant change of life. A life that was once filled with backyard games with the kids, golfing with friends, and grilling for the family instantly becomes a whole different story. If you find yourself forced to manage an impossible situation that was caused by someone else’s carelessness, it is in your best interest to get the help that you need. Whether you need to call a trucking accident attorney or a wrongful death attorney, it is in your best interest to get the advice you need as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, the technology that we depend on and the fast food that we love can bring us more pain than joy. These tow specific distractions, of course, are just the beginning of a long list or ways that people lose their focus when they should be paying attention to the road. Some of the latest research indicates that during daylight hours, approximately 660,000 people are using cellphones while driving. And while car manufacturers and innovative technology companies are working on methods to limit the distractions from technology, the truth of the matter is distracted driving claimed 3,477 lives in 2015 alone.
Finding the Right Trucking Accident Attorney May Help You Get the Resources You Need
For some specific kinds of accidents, finding the right kind of attorney can be crucial. A trucking accident attorney, for instance, may be better prepared to help a client understand the complexities of being in an accident that was caused by one of the largest threats on today’s highways and interstates. To be legally considered a trucking accident, the standard is typically that the vehicle must have a weight greater than 10,000 pounds, but plenty of damage can occur that might benefit from a trucking accident attorney even if the truck is smaller.
Consider some of these frightening statistics about the kinds of cases where personal injury lawyers of any kind might be a valuable resource:
- 66% of fatal traffic accidents involved some kind of aggressive driving, according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.
- 6 million car accidents occur every year in the U.S.
- 3 million people are injured every year in car accidents in the U.S.
- 28 people die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver every day in America.
- Distracted driving, drunk driving, and speeding are the three most common causes of car accidents in the U.S.
- 23% of semi-truck accidents are caused by a driver traveling too fast for the road conditions, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- 64% of fatal semi-truck accidents involve a semi-truck that was towing one trailer.
- 98% of all semi-truck accidents result in at least one fatality.
- 26% of semi-truck accidents are caused by prescription drug use according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Only 2% of personal injury cases actually go to trial; the rest are settled outside of the courtroom.
The instant that you are involved in a car accident that was caused by someone else’s distracted driving, your life will change. If that accident involves a large semi truck, the instant changes may be even more significant. Instead of being the victim a second time during the settlement case, doesn’t it make more sense to get the specific legal help you need?