If you have been hurt at work, you are not the only one. No one wants to need a workers compensation attorney but every year many people have to file workers compensation claims. That is the reason nearly three quarters of the states have requirements that businesses that operate there have worker’s compensation programs. Slipping on slick floors causes about 5% of the injuries that happen at work. Many people who suffered these injuries had to take more than 31 days off of work, that can be said of 22% of people who slipped at work. If you have been injured or become ill due to something at work, you should start with a consultation with a workers compensation attorney.
Worker’s compensation programs were developed so workers, who were injured at work or made sick by something at the workplace, had a recourse other than suing their employer when these things happen. This program is designed to help workers get money from the employer’s insurance carrier. A workers compensation attorney can help an injured worker get the money they are entitled to.
Talk to your friends, family and all the people in your life that you trust. Given the number of people who are injured and made ill at work, the chances are that you know someone who has used a workers compensation attorney to get them the money they were entitled to. The best way to find any goods or services is to get personal recommendations. You may not end up going with the same workers compensation law firm as the person you know who went through this but it is a good place to start.
Go online. Look to legal professional associations that are local to you. They all have websites so you can take a look there. If their site is not user friendly, you can always call and get a list of numbers. You can also look to Yelp! and even Facebook. Many cities and municipalities have Facebook groups where they promote local businesses. If you do not see a post promoting a workers compensation attorney, you can post a question about that.
Talk to a few workers compensation law firms. All law firms have a free first personal consultation. This is a good way for you to meet the workers compensation attorney who would be handling your case. Talk to a few law firms. You need to ask them all of the questions that you have. Do not worry about taking up their time or talking to them for a long time and then go with a different firm. That is normal, they expect this sort of thing. Do not neglect to ask the following questions:
- How long has your law firm been in business?
- How long have you handled workers compensation cases?
- What percentage of your time is spent on this kind of case?
- What is your experience with cases like mine?
- What is your track record negotiating settlements?
- Who would I be dealing with?
- If I have questions and I call with them, who would I get to talk to?
- Would my workers compensation attorney be available if I need to ask questions?
- Who else will work on my case?
- Make sure you are clear on the billing policy. Different law firms have different billing policies. You want a good workers compensation attorney but you also want one you can afford. Some charge by the hour and some charge by the case. There may be extras aside from that fee so ask about that. It is better to find everything out before you sign and hire a law firm. You do not want to have unpleasant surprises later on.
Make sure you are comfortable with the workers compensation attorney. You need to be able to talk to them about some pretty personal things. If you are not comfortable talking to your workers compensation attorney, they will not be able to really help you. You will be doing yourself and them a disservice by hiring someone you do not trust.
When you have been injured or made ill at your work, it can be very stressful. Hiring the right workers compensation attorney can help you through the process.