Despite the negative attention often given to the legal field, the criminal defense attorney plays a vital role in the American justice system. Good defense lawyers bring balance to what can be a system that is stacked against individuals, especially those charged with serious crimes.
Good criminal attorneys can prevent the innocent from being prosecuted and facing harsh penalties. In cases where one may actually be guilty of a crime, an attorney may be able to work out a plea arrangement, thus reducing the severity of the sentencing. Throughout the legal process, good defense lawyers will challenge everything from the charges filed by police to the manner by which cases are handled by prosecutors. In the event of a conviction, they can appeal in hopes of overturning the verdict or at least securing a lesser sentence. An emergency criminal lawyer can be useful if one is facing imminent charges.
Largely because of the cases they have litigated, some of the most famous lawyers have served in the role of a criminal defense attorney. Famous defense lawyers include Johnnie Cochran, F. Lee Bailey, Leslie Abramson, Clarence Darrow and, believe it or not, Abraham Lincoln.
If the only thing you know about criminal investigations is what you learn from the evening news and the latest hit television series you may have a pretty skewed view of what these processes are about. For instance, the stories that make the news show time after time when a person of color is judged too harshly and quickly. In contrast, the most popular television criminal investigation series often show that the good guys always find a way to clear people who have been wrongly accused. The reality, of course, probably falls somewhere between these two extremes.
In almost all cases, however, the people who receive the fairest and just results from an arrest or crime have the most experienced legal teams working on their behalf.
Finding the Right Legal Representative Can Help You Understand All of the Available Options
From DUI attorneys to legal representation for a petty theft crime, it is important to make sure that you get the most experienced legal help as soon as possible. knowing that you have someone who is both experienced and knowledgeable about your type of case allows you to more confidently enter any courtroom or hearing. Consider some of the many times that people find themselves in need of experienced legal advice:
- The Sixth Amendment provides criminal defendants with the right to legal representation, as well as the right to a speedy trial and the right to confront witnesses.
- The Eighth Amendment provides criminal defendants with the right to reasonable bail, as well as the right to not be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.
- The Fifth Amendment protects against self-incrimination, which is also known as the right to remain silent, as well as double jeopardy.
- 90 people died each day in motor vehicle crashes in 2014, and 6,400 people were injured. The families of these victims and the victims themselves often seek restitution, requiring legal representation on both sides.
- A person is injured in a drunk driving crash every two minutes.
- Comparable to the average for all occupations, the employment of lawyers is projected to grow 6% from 2014 to 2024.
If you are facing a criminal investigation it is important to get the legal help that you need so you can feel confident when it comes time to face a judge. With the right legal team on your side, you can more accurately understand the options that are available to you.