When people leave their homes, none expect to be in any kind of motor vehicle accident. The problem is that at least three million people are hurt every year in motor vehicle accidents. Moreover, there are at least six million of these accidents every year. As scooters become more popular around the nation, and because many states do not require people on scooters to wear helmets, the number of people hurt or killed in car accidents involving scooters is increasing. As a consequence, in addition to there being car accident lawyers and truck accident attorneys, scooter accident attorneys are around to help people in accidents that involve scooters. If you have been in an accident, here are some things you should do to get the best settlement.
- Get medical help. Whether you were wearing a helmet or not, you should get medical help immediately if you have been in an accident with or on a scooter. It can be hard to tell if you have serious medical issues and the sooner you get to the doctor, the better chance they will have to help you. If you end up needing a scooter accident attorney, the documentation will help your case.
- Get documentation from the accident scene. If the police were called and a report was taken, you can give that to your scooter accident attorney. If the other driver was arrested, that information will also be helpful for your personal injury lawyer. Whatever documentation you can get from the accident will be helpful for your case and your lawsuit.
- Take photos of your vehicle or scooter. If it was your scooter that was hit, you should get photos of it before you take it in to be repaired, if repairs are possible. This can show how bad the accident was and will be useful to your scooter accident attorney.
- Find out if footage of the accident is available. There are security cameras everywhere nowadays. If there are stores or other businesses near where your accident took place, there is the chance that their security cameras got footage of the accident that can be used by your personal injury law firm. At the very least, it is worth asking around. You may be surprised by how often most people are photographed or video is taken of them every day.
- Talk to personal injury lawyers. Take some time to talk to at least three different personal injury law firms. You need to take advantage of the free first consultation that they make available to new and prospective clients. This gives them a chance to look at your evidence and evaluate your case. It is important that you talk to at least a few different firms, even if you like the first scooter accident lawyer you talk to. This is so that you know what all of your options are and can be confident in your choice of attorney to represent you. This should also give you more confidence in the chances you have for success with your case. Personal injury lawyers often work on a contingency basis, meaning they do not get paid unless you do so they are not going to take a case if they do not think they have a chance of winning.
- Follow the advice of your doctors. If you go to your doctor and they tell you that you cannot go back to work, you have to follow that advice. This is because the insurance company that is going to have to pay the settlement is going to want to find any reason to pay less. If they find that you have been given instructions from your doctor to do something that you are not doing, they can present that as evidence that your injuries are not what you say they are. Just make a point to follow all of the advice from the professionals who are treating your injuries.
People often think that they would love to win a personal injury lawsuit or get a big settlement from an injury but no one really wants to go through everything you have to go through to get that big settlement. The right lawyer can really help.